- 3 to 4 servings
- 40 Minutes
The Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka Recipe is a simple, wholesome recipe of toor dal, that is made in a single pot. Cooking all the spices along with the arhar dal in the pressure cooker. All you need to do once the dal is cooked is to make the garlic tadka and the Arhar Ki Dal will be ready to be served. Serve the Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka along with rice, Parathas accompanied with Aloo Simla Mirch ki Sabzi and Moong Sprouts Salad.
- 1 cup toor dal (arhar dal)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- an inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- an inch piece of cinnamon stick
- Salt to taste
- Juice from one lemon
- a small bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped
Ingredients for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dry red chillies
Directions for Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka
- To begin making the Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka Recipe, we will first cook the dal in the pressure cooker.
- Place the washed dal, onions, grated ginger, turmeric powder, salt, tomato, cinnamon stick along with 2-1/2 cups of water. Cover the pressure cooker, place the weight on and cook until you hear two whistles. After the first two whistles, turn the heat to low and simmer the arhar dal for 3 to 4 minutes. After 4 minutes, turn off the heat.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, as the dal continues to cook while in the cooker. Once the pressure is released open the cooked and give the dal a good whisk. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste. The consistency of the dal can be adjusted at this stage, by adding water if required. Transfer the Arhar Dal into a serving bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and the coriander leaves into the dal.
- The next step is to make the seasoning for the dal.
- Next, heat the ghee in a Tadka pan; add the cumin seeds, garlic, and red chilies and allow them to roast well in the ghee.
- When the cumin begins to crackle, pour the Tadka into the cooked Dal and serve warm.
- Serve the Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka along with rice, Parathas accompanied with Aloo Simla Mirch ki Sabzi and Moong Sprouts Salad.
The Arhar Ki Dal with Lahsun Tadka is part of the endeavor to create a collection of Indian UP (Lucknow/Awadhi) Cuisine in collaboration with a few bloggers who share the same passion of cooking.